"If the mother has access to just one type of treatment during pregnancy, the best all-around treatment in pregnancy would be Reflexology". - Dr Gowri Motha, The Gentle Birth Method
How could pregnancy reflexology help you?
Reflexology is a safe, effective and deeply relaxing treatment to receive throughout your pregnancy. Reflexology treatments can help the body's systems to regulate themselves and thereby encourage a natural uncomplicated pregnancy and a timely delivery - mothers who have regular pregnancy reflexology are much less likely to need a medical induction.
Pregnancy can be a challenging time in many ways and regular reflexology treatment can provide you with valuable mental, physical and emotional support through every trimester. Pregnancy reflexology can help you feel more comfortable, healthy and calm so that both your mind and your body are in good condition for birthing your baby. It offers you the opportunity to regularly take time out to nurture both yourself and your developing baby.
Specific benefits of pregnancy reflexology and issues that can be treated include:
- Fatigue - which is especially noticeable in the first and third trimester. Reflexology can promote deep relaxation, relieve stress and improve sleep, all of which can relieve tiredness.
- Increase vitality - by relieving blockages to the vital energy flow around the body, releasing muscle tension and promoting better blood and lymph circulation.
- Pain relief - reflexology can relieve muscular tension causing headaches, neck and shoulder pain and back ache. It has also been shown to be helpful for sciatica and pelvic girdle pain.
- Improve digestion - can often be an issue in pregnancy. Reflexology can help with constipation, bloating and acid reflux.
- Reduce water retention - which commonly occurs in the third trimester, especially in the feet, ankles and legs.
- Revive tired aching feet and legs and help to prevent plantar fasciitis. Many women find they feel light on their feet after a treatment.
- Relieve stress and anxiety - both of which can be very common in pregnancy. Reflexology can promote deep relaxation and reduce the stress response in the body creating sense of wellbeing for the mother and child.
- Learning relaxation techniques that are helpful for labour and birth.
- Promote timely labour and reduces the likelihood of medical induction
It is of particular note that labour outcomes for women who receive regular pregnancy reflexology are significantly different from national averages.
Research published by Dr Gowri Motha, Ms Zia Rowji and Dr Jane McGrath, 'Reflexology in Pregnancy and Labour Outcomes' showed that:
- 89% of women who had regular pregnancy reflexology had a normal delivery, vs the national average of 73.8%
- more significantly only 5.4% were induced, vs the national average of 25%
For more information, click here:
I can offer pregnancy reflexology in either of my north London clinics, in Belsize Park NW3 and North Finchley, N12 or as home visits. Please click here for more information on my fees and locations.